An entertaining and ultra-competitive game of rugby between two good defensive sides saw the home side eventually come out on top 35-17 following the winter break, to keep the home support warmed on a cold afternoon at Mortimer Park, and this despite finishing the game with only 13 men on the park.

There was no score until the 19th minute, when Redruth No10 Dan Rutter slotted a straightforward penalty following a high tackle. Lucs however were starting to play some entertaining rugby, although they were a little rusty with their passing at times. Their first score was excellent, with the ball moved fluently across the field by the home side, before two delicate kick throughs from Tom Jones put the Lucs’ star man, Josh Watkins, clear to dart through and touch down to lead 5-0; the immaculate Louis Silver kicking the extras from the tee (7-0).

Redruth went further behind when Caleb Montgomery was driven over after 25 minutes following a driving maul; Silver again adding the extras (14-3). And the swift dancing feet of Josh Watkins again saw him carve through the Redruth defence very soon afterwards, this following an excellent inside pass from Rob Aikman, Silver again converting for the home side to lead at half time 21-3.

The visitors however were good value for their long trip up from Cornwall and started the second half with some purpose. Lucs conceded penalties which allowed Redruth line out opportunities in their red zone, and they took full advantage when Harry Hocking was driven over on 46 minutes, Rhys Brownfield converting to bring them back in touch at 21-10.

Redruth then took full advantage of a loose Tom Jones pass minutes later, which bounced into the arms of the charging Charlie Levick on halfway, to sprint through and dot down under the posts; Brownfield converting to bring them within 4 points in what was becoming a very tense game.

Both sides were superb in defence throughout, with no quarter given and either side needed just the one opportunity to push on for a result.  It fell the way of the home side when, following a clumsy penalty by the visitors, Tom Jones’ deft kicking to touch put them on the Redruth 5 metre line. From the line out, the diminutive Seb Robinson was at the bottom of the driving maul to give the home side some breathing space, Silver again converting for a 28-17 lead on the hour.

Redruth gave their all and were banging on Lucs’ defensive line for long periods as the game when into the last 10 minutes. However, the home side were brilliant in defence, even more so as they were unlucky to receive two late yellow cards. Replacement front row Tom Legge wasn’t on the pitch a minute when he was adjudged to have made a no arms tackle which saw his opponent landing awkwardly, and minutes later captain Joe White was also on the sidelines for not binding correctly in a maul.

Lucs were down to 13 men for the last 8 minutes, but their great team ethic, coupled with superb support from the home crowd, saw them defend resolutely to the end. And these efforts eventually saw a Redruth loose pass intercepted on halfway by home centre Lewis Parkes who ran away from many tired legs to dot down under the posts at the final whistle; Tom Jones converting to give the home side a 35-17 victory.

Luctonians’ first game for 3 weeks saw them somewhat rusty at times, but it sees them back to winning ways after two defeats before Christmas. Both sides defended superbly throughout, and Redruth will be disappointed not to have got something from the game, but the large home crowd went home delighted to see them gain the upper hand and secure this bonus point victory.

Star Man
Josh Watkins


On our Facebook Page you can check out the live scoreline, with goal-line videos of the tries, and a grandstand view of the tries HERE and view some great pics from Andrew Hargraves HERE.

Picture Credit – Andrew Hargraves

Club Main Sponsor